Trinity Episcopal Cathedral
Episcopal Diocese of Nevada — The Rt. Rev. Dan Edwards, Bishop
Downtown by the River — Corner of Island & Rainbow ● Reno, NV
On Sundays, at 9:00 AM, the word is energetic! While children are invited to all services, they fully take part in this liturgy which focuses on the needs unique to their developmental stages in connecting with God and experiencing our Episcopal worship. There is a simple Bible story or lesson in place of a sermon, lively songs, interactive prayers, and Holy Communion. Parents, grandparents, and families with children attend and enjoy this uplifting hour! Even folks without children, but who enjoy the lively worship, attend the 9:00 AM.
On the second Sunday of every month during the school year, we have a wonderful Potluck Brunch gathering after the 9:00 PM liturgy.
On Christmas Eve, we have a special children's service early in the afternoon so you can get your little ones tucked into bed on time.
Baptisms: We love baptisms at Trinity! Interested in Baptism for yourself, your child, or grandchild? Please contact one of the clergy if you would like to become the newest member of the Christian Church. There is simple but important instruction which is not burdensome in preparation.
Join our special closed group for parents on Facebook! We maintain a private group on Facebook so we can share ideas, ask questions, and celebrate our kids! Click here to go to this page; once there, click "Join" to request membership in the group.
Other Children and Family events throughout the year:
• Epiphany party in early January with procession of the Three Kings to the Creche (Nativity Scene) and then a potluck with King Cake!
• Palm Sunday liturgy in the park across from the Church with our brothers and sisters from other downtown churches. The biggest thrill is Pancho the Donkey always attends, and the kids love him!
• Flowering of the cross on Easter morning with an egg hunt to follow the service.
• Oxbow Nature Study Area retreat: This kid-friendly retreat held in early June is held at the beautiful Oxbow Nature Study Area in downtown Reno off Dickerson Road. Kids can walk, explore, and receive crayons and special coloring pages of the wildlife indigenous to the park. Parents have a chance to deepen their spirituality through reflection, prayer, walking, and writing.
• Vacation Church School: Depending on parental interest and volunteers, we have offered a Vacation Church School during the summer break.
• Seniors teach kids the games they played as kids! Sometime during the summer, we take a morning for the seniors of the congregation to teach the simple games they used to love as kids such as jacks, marbles, and hopscotch.
• Backpack and School Supply collection: We collect these items in July and give them to a local school where there are kids in need. If your family needs help with these items too, please let one of the clergy know; we would be glad to help your family too.
• The Blessing of the Backpacks — Before school begins in August, we invite the children to bring their backpacks to church for a special blessing!
• St. Francis Day: In early October, we celebrate St. Francis Day by bringing our pets to church! This is such a popular service that we are often joined by many people who don't usually attend the 9:00 AM. This is a regular Holy Eucharist, but we also have a Blessing of the Pets. If you are unable to bring your pet or if you have lost a beloved animal companion, you can bring a picture or a memento from them and the priest will say a blessing for them. Kids are also welcome to bring stuffed animals for a blessing!
• The Blessing of the Pumpkins — The Sunday before Halloween, kids get to come in costume and bring their pumpkins for a blessing.
• The Christmas Pageant — Often the highlight of the kids' year, the Sunday before Christmas, all children are invited to participate in the annual Christmas Pageant. Everyone gets a part, even little ones that parents have to carry get to be angels! Nothing gets you in the Christmas spirit like little ones in tinsel halos.
— For further information about our Children & Family offerings, please contact Rev. Rick at 775-329-4279, Extension 12,
During the school year, every Wednesday at 4:00 PM, there is an innovative education program tailored for both Parents, Kids, and other Adults at Trinity! We begin in the Gathering Space downstairs in the Church, and then the kids move to the classroom and the music room; the adults go into the library.
4:00 – 5:30 PM Kids rotate through Art, Godly Play, and Music Classes
5:30 – 5:45 PM A brief chapel worship upstairs in the Church
5:45 – 6:15 PM Dinner (Different families sign up to host these very simple dinners each week.)
6:15 – 7:30 PM The Adult class on Mark repeats for folks who don't have kids or prefer the later time.
— Contact Rev. Rick for further information at RevRick@TrinityReno.org —